Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekend 17

Life in cali is still treating us very well. We've been here almost 20 weeks now. We're meeting people little by little. While Xavi's at work, I try my best to devote all 8 hours of the working day to 3 things: 1) exercise 2) drawings for the children's book and to finish it, and 3) self-teachings of (X)HTML and CSS in pursuit of making my own portfolio site by the end of the fall. We'll see how that goes cos the books are due back at the library soon, and I can't recheck them out anymore. I have to wait til they're back on shelf which is gonna be never cos those vultures are gonna get 'em as soon as I drop them off. The web section of the library is always practically empty. Maybe its time i purchase one. Anyway, I'm determined to do this, but i know it won't be easy. The book I'm following right now rocks, and it breaks everything down SO well. But I just got the to the chapter (which is still early in the book mind you), that is called, "If you think that was confusing, wait til you read this". what the ?

I have made two friends so far that i met through hiking a few weeks ago. Brenda lives in santa ana, which is not far from the area where Xavi works, and Jill. Jill lives up in Chino Hills, which I just learned is a good hour 45-60min drive away from our area. That kinda sucks. They're both pretty nice and easy going. Down to earth people.

Brenda and I got together friday evening for dinner at this restaurant called Rutabegorz in "old town" Orange. Orange is just another lil city of Orange County, its east and north of us, inland. The restaurant's on a road called Glassell street. After a few blocks away from the freeway, Glassell's streets fills up with quaint little shops, and restaurants, and what I think was a cathedral, but I was trying not to hit the peds on the roundabout crosswalk, so maybe it's not a cathedral at all. The structure reminded me of a cathedral at first glance. Anyway, Brenda said the shops are mostly antique shops. Chapman University is down the road from Rutabegorz, and there were some eclectic mom n pop coffee shops and stores in the area. I drove all around looking for a place to park that didn't require permit, and started to fall in love with the area. So I hope i get back there sooner than later to walk around.

Last night we went to Griffith Park Observatory and left wanting to take our family and friends there when we they come to visit. Its on one of the hill tops in the ginormous Griffith Park, and overlooks a very smoggy polluted Los Angeles. The smog isn't as bad as say Cairo, but from the hill top, it doesn't look good at all. The observatory was pretty nice. We saw a show at the planetarium, and had a good time with the group we met up with. I hope some friendships develop through this group too. I met a fellow texan, and we got to talking about Austin. I didn't realize how much older than me she is til she was talking about hanging out in austin back in the 80's. I was like, 'hello... the 80's? i was still being read bedtime stories in the 80's".. :0

Xavi and I also been talking about taking surfing lessons. Only one things makes me nervous me about surfing. That one thing would be sharks.

kiki

No comments: